7 key features of the Cherry Mobile Magnum 2X you should know about
You probably heard of Cherry Mobile’s upcoming dual-core smartphone, the Magnum 2X which is going to be the cheapest dual-core Android phone in the land with an introductory price of Php15,899. That’s really a bargain considering other dual-core phones go for more than Php25k. But have you looked past the dual-core and price point to actually have a better understanding of the phone?
We’re still waiting for an actual review unit but for now, we’ll do a rundown on some of the key features the Magnum 2X that you should know before consider getting it as a Christmas gift to yourself.
- Based on K-Touch W700 OEM. Like most (if not all) CM phones, the Magnum 2X is based on the K-Touch W700 by Tianyu. Nothing against OEM devices but if you’re gunning for the uniqueness of design, OEMs won’t help you. The Micromax A85 is also based on this W700 and who knows who else will be rebranding this. Viewsonic maybe?
- Dual-core 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor. Here’s the deal with the dual-core here. It has the same processor as that of most 10-inch Android tablets. I tried some of them and although things aren’t as snappy as I would’ve wanted to, we’re dealing with a smaller device here so expect some smooth performance especially when it comes to gaming.
- 3.8-inch screen. Yeah it’s smaller than the display of the single-core Magnum HD but it also translates to a higher pixel density count for the Magnum 2X. You will get sharper 480 x 800 display than that of the Magnum HD.
- Android 2.2 Froyo. This one’s a bummer. I had a poor experience (apps crashing, phone rebooting, etc.) with the Magnum HD on Froyo although it was fixed when I upgraded to Gingerbread. If you can hold off buying this one, wait until they release a Gingerbread update.
- 5 megapixel camera with no flash. We’re not sure if it has the same camera sensor as that of the Magnum HD, but if it is then it doesn’t matter if you have flash or not, pictures just won’t turn out to be good.
- 8GB internal storage. Well this is a surprise, not that you would run out of storage on your phone when you can use microSDs, the 8GB internal storage is a big bump from the Magnum HDs 1GB.
- No HDMI out. Even though people seldom connect their smartphones to bigger screen to view videos, we don’t understand why this phone doesn’t have an HDMI out when the first Magnum has it. Not even a tv-out via MHL.
What’s interesting to know is how low will the Cherry Mobile Magnum HD would go once this becomes available.
|Cherry Mobile Magnum 2X Specs|
|1 GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual Core processor|
|Android 2.2 Froyo (upgradeable to 2.3 Gingerbread)|
|3.8” WVGA capacitive touchscreen (480 x 800 pixels)|
|8 GB storage, 512 MB RAM|
|3G, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps|
|5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus|
|Front facing VGA camera|