Nov 17, 2011

Posted by in Mobile | 80 Comments

Cherry Mobile Candy, most affordable Android phones at Php3,699

Cherry Mobile released these two Android phones under Candy line that only cost Php3,699 a piece. These are probably as basic as an Android phone could get and you need to keep that in mind if you’re tempted to get one.

The Cherry Mobile Candy is a full touchscreen Android phone. It has a small 2.8 resistive screen with a lot of wasted real estate around it. The screen could go up to 3.2-inch probably. A 416MHz processor powers the phone which would probably be just enough for your basic smartphone needs. Oh and it runs on Android 2.2 which is decent for an entry-level droid since the specs can’t handle Android Gingerbread. One thing you won’t see in a lot of Android phones on the CM Candy is its dual sim/dual standby capability.

Cherry Mobile Candy Specifications

• Android Froyo 2.2
  • 2.8″ Resistive Touch Screen
  • Dual Sim/Dual Standby
  • MediaTek 416Mhz Processor
  • ROM: 256mb / RAM: 128mb
  • Dual Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 900/1800
  • WiFi
  • 1.3 MP Camera
  • FM Radio
  • 3.5mm Headset Jack
  • Bluetooth
  • Expandable Micro SD up to 16gb

The Cherry Mobile Candy Chat on the other hand is similar to the Candy but with a QWERTY portrait keyboard at the expense of a smaller 2.8″ resistive touchscreen. Other than that, things are pretty much the same.

Cherry Mobile Candy Chat Specifications

• Android Froyo 2.2
  • 2.4″ Resistive Touch Screen with QWERTY Keypad
  • Dual Sim/Dual Standby
  • MediaTek 416Mhz Processor
  • ROM: 256mb / RAM: 128mb
  • Dual Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 900/1800
  • WiFi
  • 1.3 MP Camera
  • FM Radio
  • 3.5mm Headset Jack
  • Bluetooth
  • Expandable Micro SD up to 16gb

Now here’s the thing. It’s cheap at Php3,699 but is it worth your hard-earned cash?

The thing I’m not high on these phones is the resistive screen. If you don’t know the difference between a resistive and capacitive, well you can read it here. Anyway, resistive displays can’t offer the same smooth navigation you see on iPhones or those Samsung Galaxies. You need to use apply pressure on the screen in order to use it. This also affects some games where a lot of swiping is required. Believe me, you won’t be satisfied with your Android experience if you go with a resistive display.

But if all you have is Php3,899 and you really want an Android phone, better get the Candy Chat. Touch-typing on a small screen is difficult to master and having a physical keyboard will really help. Besides, resistive won’t be much of an issue on the Candy Chat’s small screen since you won’t be using it too much.

If you have a couple thousand bucks more, you might want to go with the Samsung Galaxy Y instead.

1. Ok na sana yung candy chat kaso tinanggal yung bluetooth. :(

2. Pwede na sa mga kulang sa money nating mga kababayan. There is a market for this, the other side of the spectrum where we see iPhone and Galaxy SGS II buyers naman.

3. Kinda cool to have android running on cherry mobile. Let everyone be on the android team! :)

4. aw sayang! ayos na sana kung capacitive/multitouch. heheh

5. ok din sya….cute and simple

BTW SELLING my CHERRY MOBILE ORBIT…5k only 4months old….ALL in…complete package

6. Charles Rock says:

What?! walang bluetooth yung candy chat? interested to buy pa naman ako =(

7. i’d confused what is differences between the capacitive and resistive. now i know, i search on it… yah it’s better that they’d make this phones a capacitive touchscreen.
    syang gusto q sana sya, buti nalaman ko b4 i buy.

8. nakakaasar ndi compatible zynga poker ndi mainstal

9. meron pong bluetooth…a got one today

10. Ilang maH kaya battery nito?

11. matagal ba malobat??

12. malinaw ba yung cam..
    ?

13. I got mine a few days ago. Di ako nagsisisi, surprisingly, mabagal maglobat given the 1000mah battery. On the downside, it has a non standard screen resolution so many games and apps wont run. Kung may budget ka, I would strongly recommend Lenovo a60 of which I am also a proud owner.

14. meron ba itong keypad backlight? and pwede ba mag install dito ng opera mini? thanks!

15. does it view youtube videos? thanks!

16. ok lang siya, it @gabs uu pde youtube…

17. may idea ba kayo kung anung model ng phone nila binase yung cherry mobile candy?

18. Now I know the difference between resistive and capacitive.,,it’s not a big deal for me then… :)

19. my cherry mobile candy is very slow running when i use go launcher ex

• juggernot says:

Yah, agree. Masyado xang lag using go launcher ex,I recommend u use holo launcher which is the ice cream sandwich launcher. Actually I used that launcher. I’m a candy chat user and now I rooted it and downloaded apps in the google play (android market) and surprsingly, kinaya ng phone lahat ng apps without bricking it. My candy chat look really really nice right now and doesn’t look like froyo but ice cream sandwich, hndi xa laggy. Smooth ang touch screen, hndi halatang resistive but through rooting, the touch screen does like a capacitive. Madali lang I.root ang candy chat and you’ll see the difference.

• juggernot says:

And by the way, go launcher drains ur battery easily at kahit sa mga high end na phone laggy parin ang go launcher. Marami kasixang widgets, etc.

20. pdf ready ba ang CM Candy? or can it read .txt files? perfect na para sakin and CM Candy pag pwedeng PDF or .txt man lang pang e-book tysm

21. @baydo – go launcher is one of the most resource-hog launchers because of its full-blown feature set. use lightweight ones such as zeam launcher instead.

@wingkay – its android so just download pdf reader. i recommend ezPDFReader (paid)

22. dapt po bang malaki ang memory card ng CM CANDY para walang log
    ang mga laro na nanainstall sa CM CANDY

• Carlo Manalansan says:

@light maraming games ang hindi gumagana sa candy. pwede ka maginstall ng games using google market kahit wala pang memory card o kaya maliit lng ang memory card

23. ask ko lang about candy original android bayan?

24. "AthiesT" says:

Anu ba talaga? Meron ba o wala talagang BLUETOOTH ang Candy Chat?! Please Answer.,

25. ano po yung screen resolution ng candy? may idea po ba kayo? may nagsabi kasi dito na may mga apps daw na hindi gumagana dahil sa screen resolution ng CM candy..

26. andrea cruz says:

Pano po buksan yung sa likod ng phone sa first picture?

27. not bad.for a low priced mobile.offcourse hindi nman puwedeng pagsamasamahin magagandang features in 1.

28. panu mu ma activate ang gprs ng candy cherry mobile..plssss help me asap….:(

• Carlo Manalansan says:

open settings>wireless and network>Data Connection sim>choose the sim that you will us then ok

• Ann says:
        May 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

29. Mga tol?? Sis.. tanong.. please paki answer din..
    I have a problem in this phone.. nabili ko to ung candy. after 2 hours.. pauwi na ko laguna.. may problem na sa Touch Screen.. Calibrate ko ng Calibrate.. lalong humirap ang pag pindot.. ang lalayo ng mga button na gumagana… Then.. pwd kea to ipalit???

PLEASE ANSWER MY COMPLAINANTS>> AND TEACH ME HOW TO FIX MY TOUCH SCREEN PROBLEM>> AND ANY ADVISE PARA HINDI MASIRA ANG TOUCHSCREN PROBLEM THANKS

• PWEDE MO YN IPAPALIT NG UNIT. PROMISE. GANYAN DIN UNG AKIN 3X KO PINAPALITAN UNG UNIT KO. UNA KC UNG LCD NGKROON NG LINYA TAPOS AYW N MAALIS, 2ND UNIT ANG INIT NG UNIT TPOS NUNG ICHA2RGE KO SOBRA N INIT! NTAKOT AKO.. ANG BAHO NG AMOY NYA, AMOY SUNOG N KURYENTE. KYA PINAPALITAN KO TLAGA SYA NG UNIT ULET. KHT N 1TIME REPLACEMENT LNG DW, TLAGANG PINILIT KO SILANG PLITAN NLA UNG UNIT N IBINIGAY NLA SAKEN. PAPAYAG B KO N UNG HALAGA NG PERA KO E GNUNG KLASENG UNIT ANG MPU2NTA SAKEN. KAYA PAPALITAN MO YAN, DPT HAWAK MO P RIN

• Carlo Manalansan says:

i factory reset mo tapos calibrate mo ng maayos pag maayos na wag mo paglaruan yung calibrate app

30. PLEASE TOL / SIS ??? ANSWER MY PROBLEM>> HELP ME PLEASE THANKS!

• I am a Candy user for a day (harhar) pa lang then nagka-problem din ako ayaw kasi gumana ng back button then I called the store where I bought my phone and it was part of our agreement that it is replaceable for 15 days so I had a replacement. :D

• ipareplace mo… un lang.. as long as valid ang reason… ganyan ginawa ko…

31. Secret nang says:

Ang ganda sana kaya lang ung camera 1.3 lang!

32. I have Candy. That fon is bullshit. 3 months pa lang sira na!!!!

33. UNG CANDY CHAT KO, WLA PANG 1MONTH HND KO N GUS2! KAINIS KHT N MAY REGULAR LOAD K HND K MKPGNET. KPG WIFI NMN, HND K MKPGDOWNLOAD S MGA APPLICATION N NKINSTALL S CANDY CHAT. TPOS SA2BIHIN N TNGKILIKIN ANG SARILING ATIN. S QUALITY P LNG BAGSAK N! KAINIS TLAGA!!! SINO B GUS2 BENTYA KO NLNG NG P2700.

34. bwisit talagang unit yan..my bluetooth nga hindi nman makakareceive ng files via bluetooth..hanggang requesting file lng sya…grrrr…..

• chen uy reyes says:

hi there, press mo yung left down side ng candy mo, click the notifications then ACCEPT… ganun lang friend. but if i had known in the first place, i would advice my companion in the house not to purchase cherrymobile. 09397018399

35. 1,999.00 nLang ang CM Candy Chat ngayon eh,

36. chris castilo says:

my daughter forget her pattern password on her cherry mobile candy,she try it more than ten times but failed, now she need to sign in for google account as her phone display says, but she has no account yet, she is twelve years old only, is there any other ways to unlock it? pls help us.. thank you in advance.

37. ok na sana ang phone nato..proudly pinoy tas android na mura pa..kaya lang problema sa mga phone nato ay… mababa MP ng cam…sana kahit 3MP na lang p[wede nayun!!!

38. ok na sana ang phone nato..proudly pinoy tas android na mura pa..kaya lang problema sa mga phone nato ay… mababa MP ng cam…sana kahit 3MP na lang pwede nayun!!!

39. I have a candy unit first (ung touch screen) but I realized resistive ung touch screen nya and prone to early damage unlike sa capacitive na electron-driven. so I replaced it after 7 days ng candy chat (touch and type) and right now, I’m enjoying the android treats… wala naman akong problem sa fone na to so far…

40. I love this phone! this will be ok for P.1000 loads!

41. Carlo Manalansan says:

I just bought this phone and its kinda nice but it only has 416mhz processor biruin mo yung pinaka unang android phone merong 528mhz processor…tignan nyo unang nerelease (2008)yung t-mobile g1(the first android phone) tapos may 528 mhz processor. tapos itong candy (2011) na renelease pero may 416 mhz processor kahit mas bago.

42. ganda kaso walang pambili

43. pano po ilagay yung sariling picture sa conversation?

44. Nakabili ako ng Candy chat nung Feb 25, 2012 and now 1 year na sya saakin .. wala namang problema , nakakapag wifi, intener naman ako through data

basta marunong ka lang kumalikot ng phone maayos mo sya sa kahit anong sira nya

45. vagrantie29_forFB says:

how much na ba to sa cebu? may sale ba? PLEASE REPLY! INTERESTED TO BUY FOR MY GRAD GIFT

46. Sale po vah xa guimba yan???? Plzz reply i like this eh

47. cAn I ask sOmething??.. how can i open the Gprs of a CM candy ch@t model… kXe everytime I open the data connection and select for a sim to use laging nag aapear “GPRS connection failed or currently network is busy” .. lagi nlang ganyan .. haiii :(

any comment or suggestion about it ?

48. Sheena Mae Solmayor says:

pwedi ba lagyan nang instagram ang cady chat?

49. pls. pahelp pano ko po iroroot to? yung magiging smooth sya at hindi laggy. sana may tumulong. heres my number 0 9 0 6 8 4 1 2 3 4 0