Symantec updates backup appliances NetBackup 5220 and NetBackup Exec 3600
For those businesses that want an easy and secure all-in-one backup appliance, Symantec has announced their new NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600, which now include their latest NetBackup 7.5 and Backup Exec 2012 software announced last year.
A couple of weeks ago, IP-Converge announced their cloud backup service which is also powered by Symantec’s NetBackUP 7.5. The newly announced backup appliances is for those who want to manage and keep their backup within the company’s premises.
Symantec’s backup appliances deliver an end-to-end integrated backup appliance for servers, storage, and software. Gone are the days of extreme systems engineering where it was the customer’s responsibility to make all of their backup solutions work together.
However, the problem with backup today is that most people think it’s a complicated process to accomplish, but not quite so for Symantec’s new NetBackup appliances.
Marcus Loh, Symantec’s line of business practice lead for Backup Appliances said, “Symantec’s backup appliances are unique to the market. Unlike many solutions that require the IT team to integrate multiple solutions for tape, disk, dedupe, physical, virtual snapshots and backup, Symantec appliances are typically installed in less than 30 minutes and deliver integrated hardware, software and dedupe storage, providing customers with simplicity and performance from one vendor.”
NetBackup 5220 Key Features:
- NetBackup Accelerator: Helps shrink big backups into smaller backup windows by delivering full backups at the speed of incremental backups for up to 100 times faster backup.
- Replication Director: Brings the speed of snapshots and the recoverability of backup together to protect large volumes of data and virtual machines.
- Symantec V-Ray Technology: Protects up to 3,000 VMware virtual machines with a single appliance while enabling fast file or image recovery with less hardware (e.g., direct VMware vSphere backups without proxy servers).
- Auto Image Replication: Enables disaster recovery over the network by combining deduplication with replication so you can stop putting tapes on trucks or helicopters.
- Symantec Critical System Protection: Combines security and storage to protect appliances and backup data against zero day attacks and malicious insider threats.
- WAN Optimisation: Provides reliable backups even in high latency environments.
Backup Exec 3600 Key Features:
- Next Gen Backup User Experience: Changes the way backups are managed by organising them around systems and information. Optimised and priced for SMB customers, the Backup Exec 3600 appliance’s policies and settings are designed so organisations can implement expert backup policies without being experts in backup.
- Symantec V-Ray: Unites virtual and physical backups to deliver single-pass backups of VMware, Hyper-V and the physical hosts they run on so users can recover virtual machines, applications, databases, files, folders and even granular objects in seconds.
- Free Disaster Recovery Built-In: Integrated bare metal recovery includes Backup-to-Virtual (B2V) and Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) conversion technologies to allow users to recover a failed system to a VMware or Hyper-V guest. All Backup Exec customers who upgrade to BE 2012 have access to this at no cost, enabling businesses that thought disaster recovery was out of reach to implement a plan.
- Tape-Out Support: Backup Exec 3600 appliance has added tape support for additional longer-term or offsite data protection.
- Cloud Recovery as a Service: With the Cloud disaster recovery option, customers can leverage cloud recovery as a service powered by Doyenz for planned and unplanned system recovery of VMware environments.
- Data Deduplication: Users can protect more data while reducing storage by up to 90 percent and improve backup performance through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.
The new appliances deliver on Symantec’s Better Backup for All initiative to advance what Gartner has called “The Broken State of Backup.”
Symantec NetBackup 5220 and Backup Exec 3600 appliances are now available in the Philippines. For more information, please visit www.symantec.com/backup-appliance or www.symantec.com/backup-exec-3600-appliance.