Western Digital Blue now the world’s thinnest 1TB hard drive
Western Digital just launched their latest and highest WD Blue capacity topping at 1 TB during Computex Tapei 2013. The WD Blue now becomes the world’s thinnest 1 TB hard drive measuring just 7mm thin.
This new 7mm slim 2.5-inch hard drive will now allow OEMs to further shave some thickness off their systems while still offering high-capacity storage.
"Users with large portfolios of content no longer need to sacrifice capacity when buying an Ultrabook or upgrading to a thin and light notebook," said Matt Rutledge, Vice President and General Manager for client storage products at WD. "This most compact 1TB hard drive to-date offers manufacturers of systems an upsell path for their customers who will now be able to choose systems offering both sleek design and high capacity.
Depsite adding more capacity to an already skimpy drive, Western Digital still manage to cram enough features to make the WD Blue a reliable and robust drive. Features include:
- Shock Tolerance – WD’s ShockGuard™ technology protects the drive mechanics and platter surfaces from shocks.
- Cool and quiet – WD’s exclusive WhisperDrive™ technology enables quiet performance.
- StableTrac™ – The motor shaft is secured at both ends to compensate for system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations which enables consistently higher performance.
- Dual Stage Actuators – Leveraged from enterprise-class drives, dual stage actuators utilize two actuators to improve positional accuracy over the data track(s). The primary actuator provides coarse displacement using conventional electromagnetic actuator principles. The secondary actuator uses piezoelectric motion to fine tune the head positioning to a higher degree of accuracy.
- Reliable – WD’s SecurePark™ parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down, and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface resulting in improved long term reliability due to less head wear, and improved non-operational shock tolerance.
- Compatibility Tested – WD performs tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in its FIT Lab™ and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give customers confidence that drives will work in specific systems.
The new 1 TB WD Blue 7 mm 2.5-inch mobile hard drive is covered by a two-year limited warranty and has an MSRP of Php6,990.