Nokia made good with their promise that they will continue to support the MeeGo OS on their N9 device for at least a couple of years. They showed it by releasing their first N9 update, PR 1.1 (20.2011.40-4). Even though the Nokia N9 will only be available later this month, it’s good to know that their are improvements already by the time you get your hands on it.
Notable features of this update includes better multitasking and memory handling for performance improvement. They now also incorporated Swype on their keyboard which I definitely dig. You can also control your music straight from the lock screen and Nokia added color filters on their camera app.
Other new features according to the Nokia site are:
- NFC tag reading to instantly interact with NFC tags
- Music controls on lock screen
- Photo and video shooting with color filters: black & white, sepia, vivid, negative, solarize
- More powerful multitasking with improved memory handling
- Swype for fast typing
- Faster MfE synch, synchronizing only active folders
- Noice cancellation reduces background noise so that your friends hear you better
- Close apps easily with swiping down, this now on by default
- New indicators for standby screen like charging and calendar
Still missing? A use for the front-facing camera. You can’t use it to take portrait shots, you can’t use it to video chat on the pre-installed Skype app as well. I heard that video call only works on Google Talk. Hmmm.
The PR1.1 update for the Nokia N9 is a huge download (230MB+) and it’s done OTA so expect a long wait for the upgrade to finish.
The Nokia N9 will be available in Nokia stores on the 3rd weekend of November. SRP for the 16GB is Php24,990 and 64GB is Php25,990. The Nokia N9 comes in black, cyan and magenta but 64GB version will only get the black version.[Nokia]