On a press statement earlier today, Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI) announced that they will be bringing back their PlayStation Network online by the end of the week. There’s a catch though, they will be doing it by phases so some functionalities may not be available immediately. Full network functionality are expected to be restored by the end of the month.
Last week, Sony admitted that they had to bring down their PlayStation Network on April 19 due to an external intrusion. Information such as login names, passwords and credit card of all its 77 million subscribers were compromised as a result. They have been working with the FBI and a security firm round the clock in investigating this situation.
Sony also promised further securing their network and services. They added enhanced detection capabilities, automated software monitoring, enhanced levels of data encryption, additional firewalls. They even created a Chief Information Security Officer to handle these preparations in future.
Anyhow after all’s said and done it’s time to bring back the service. The initial phase of the roll out will be implemented by region with the following functionalities:
- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
- -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
- Access to account management and password reset
- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
- Friends List
- Chat Functionality
And as a way to thank its loyal customers for the patience and support, they are implementing a “œWelcome Back” Appreciation Program worldwide which will be tailored to specific markets. Central components of this program include:
- Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
- All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
- Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.