Picked this up over the last This Week in Tech podcast of Leo Laporte and I just had to check it out.
From the site‘s FAQ’s:
What does Writely do?
Writely allows you to edit documents online with whomever you choose, and then publish and blog them online.
What exactly can I do with it?
* Upload Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML or text (or create documents from scratch).
* Use our simple WSIWYG editor to format your documents, spell-check them, etc.
* Invite others to share your documents (by e-mail address).
* Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
* View your documents’ revision history and roll back to any version.
* Publish documents online to the world, or to just who you choose.
* Download documents to your desktop as Word, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML or zip.
* Post your documents to your blog.
How much does Writely cost?
During the beta period, Writely is free.
What will it cost in the future?
Our hope is to have the basic service be free, with some extra features requiring a reasonable subscription fee. We will also be charging license fees to corporations and partners.
I hope the people behind this succeed. I’ve already seen an online spreadsheet processor here, using Java and there are online project management sites already available.
Bill Gates may be having nightmares by now.